Knjaževac

In honor of Džervin wine


U čast vina iz DžervinaLocated in eastern Serbia, in the border zone with Bulgaria, Knjaževac municipality is a blend of rich tradition and modern trends. When it comes to the size of the area, it is the fourth municipality in Serbia. The centre of the municipality is Knjaževac, a town founded on the three Timok rivers. Because of the many bridges that connect the shores of the Svrljiški and Trgoviški Timok, it is often called Little Venice.

Under Turkish rule, Knjaževac was named Gurgusovac. Since 17 January 1859, it has its present name, which was at the time given by the residents to indicate a special honor to Prince (Knjaz) Miloš, who ordered the burning of Gurgusovac tower, situated above the town. The tower was known as the Serbian Bastille, and was a prison for political prisoners.
Experienced masons had spontaneously constructed the old bazaar, and this is where its strange beauty lies. This segment keeps the secret of a merchants’ town. Its facilities represent exceptional harmony of style and space. The stone bridge was built in Knjaževac in 1913 and represents one of the symbols of the town. The bridge with the old downtown in the background and chestnut trees in the vicinity often represent the subject of interest of photographers.
A little further on, in the village of Gornja Kamenica, there is the Monastery of the Holy Trinity. The monastery was built in 1457, during the reign of Despot Lazar, the youngest son of Đurađ Branković. The skillful hands of nuns still keep this building from oblivion.
Rgoška spa is located some 5 km away from Knjaževac. With the temperature of 30.5ºC, its water is helpful with the treatment of diseases of the locomotor apparatus, skin and neurological diseases.
Tupižnica Mountain (alt. 1160 m) is located 15 km north of Knjaževac. It has a potential for extreme sports (paragliding, mountain biking, mountain climbing etc.) and hunting. There are several trails for walking, and as a curiosity we should also mention a frozen pit.